First things first– I’M BACK! It’s been a long time since opening my computer preparing myself for a new blog post. To be typing my intro brings excitement to my day! My list of topics has become quite extensive and I can’t wait to share. Life hasn’t stopped moving since the start of school with parent meetings, basketball scheduling, and paperwork that never leaves the desk. Timing for this blog couldn’t be any better. Today I will be sharing my tips to better balance your life (or at least try).
- BREATHE- How simple is that right? Actually, no. I have to remind myself daily just to breath. For all my type A personalities in the world you understand. Anxiety is real. Stress is real. I have both. When you want to be the absolute best at whatever endeavor you pursue sleep becomes minimal. My job is amazing and my students keep me going, but for them I’ll never settle for anything better than the best. Specifically focusing on basketball my belief is this: give them everything you have, and in turn they will do the same.
- MAKE A SAVE FOR LATER LIST- Remember when you were a little kid and one day seemed like a whole lifetime had gone by? Fast forward ten years to find 24 hours isn’t enough to accomplish much of anything. I spend many days sitting at my desk looking at a checklist and determined to get everything done in one day. Next thing I know the 7th period bell rings and there it is, half of my list done, the other half … well not. I’ve learned no matter how desperately I desired to get my list done, sometimes I wasn’t. Most days I would leave work feeling defeated like maybe I could have done more with my hours. Finally there it was, an epiphany. The list doesn’t end. Right when I grab my pen to check off my last task here comes an email to add five more items. My mindset is different now. I do what I can. I work hard every hour, turn my computer off at the end of each day, and go home leaving every thought of a list right at the desk.
- EXERCISE- I almost feel embarrased speaking on this topic. When I took a break from blogging (or everything in life it seems) I also took a break from the gym. Somehow I keep justifying my gym hiatus blaming it all on summer break. If I’m honest what teacher really moves from the couch June through August? I began my journey AGAIN when the school year started. If you know me then you know I value sleep. Since I was a little girl I was always the last person from bed in the house and after waking up I still complained about being tired. This next endeavor will shock everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE. In order to fit my workout in I committed myself to waking up everyday at 4:30 AM. Yup, you read it right 4:30 am. The first week was hard, second week was still hard, and the third week, yeah that was hard also. Now that my mind is made up I don’t think I can stop doing it. I don’t know what studies have been done and I’m no doctor, but I can say my mental focus and anxiety have significantly decreased since starting my morning sweat sessions. It also helps to shed a few summer pounds as well… right in time for winter.. (rolling my eyes).
- SUNDAY FUN DAY- Isn’t Sunday the best day of the week? I love that Sunday brings about a reset button from the previous days. The first thing I do to prepare for the week is clean my house. Similar to working out, keeping your living space clean can allow for your life to be better organized. You know the feeling after a vacation when you walk in the door and your house is clean? That’s what you want to feel after a stressful and chaotic day at work. Knowing that the work week will be long and time limited try to plan and prepare. Each week after cleaning I meal prep breakfast and lunch to take to work. Next, I take a bath. This is probably my favorite thing in life (Mom if you’re reading this .. it’s all your fault). Lastly, I get dressed not just any dressed i’m talking full face of makeup new outfit dressed. I need it. Five days a week I’m in workout clothes with my hair pulled back and maybe a layer of mascara. It’s my one opportunity to feel like a woman so in true Megan fashion I take full advantage.
- LEARN TO SAY NO! – Life is busy. The older you are the more events start to pile on. Baby showers, weddings, reunions, birthday parties the list is endless. You can’t make them all. You won’t make them all. Communicate with your family and friends so they understand you care about them. You aren’t superwoman, so don’t try to be. I used to try and please everyone around me only to find I was the one that needed the most assistance. I learned that saying no isn’t a personal thing nor a bad thing, more so a well being thing. Favorite adulthood quote, “I still want to be invited, I’m just not going”. To my friends: It’s true.
As always I’m not an expert. I do however encourage everyone to make a list to help better manage time spent outside of work. A true fact, most of our lives are spent working. Do something you love, and do it well. Life moves fast and we only get to take this ride once. Smile often, dance often, hug your mom more, take a bath (with wine), and ENJOY the ride!
Until next time, Happy Reading!
I do not own the right to the the above photos just my own.